Thursday, February 12, 2009

Mona on getting older

It crossed my mind earlier that there would be nothing better than to sit in my new wing back chair and put my feet up on a foot stool and just enjoy the moment, the solitude, the serenity, the pictures on the wall and read a book in the comfort of my surroundings, with no guilt, in the knowledge that the clock is ticking anyway whether I do something about it or not. I then imagined an elderly person in a care home who was doing just that. A theory came into my head that perhaps elderly people don't mind sitting in a wing back chair with their feet up, just thinking, in solitude, watching time pass in the comfort of their familiar things. The clock ticking, the moment continuing on and on with no interruptions, nothing to take you away from your train of thought, staring and smiling knowingly when someone asks you a question. "You what dear?", "isn't she lovely?", "what have you been doing since I last saw you Agnes?" "Now't fresh" will be your reply. How irritating the interruption when you had just got thinking about something. "Time for your bath Agnes!", "What's for dinner Mum?". "It's tea time pet, up we come", "where's my sports kit Mum?". You deserve to sit and think and stare and not recognise anyone, you've earned it, you've been on your feet and worked your fingers to the bone for a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment